Ok. It’s Tasty Tuesday. That means it’s time to think about some new and creative ways to get your grub on and to stuff your face. Food is the way to a
man’s human’s heart, so get to cooking. Don’t be lazy, just get in there and do it. If it doesn’t turn out so great, who cares. It’s all about learning and getting better. Make what you like, make what you think would be cool, make what you think your kids or significant other would like, too. Why not make the world a better place by dropping some tasty vittles on it?
Did someone say dessert?
You bet no one did, but I am right now. It’s all about dessert and those good feelings you get from it. One of my all-time favorites have to be Rice Krispie treats. Man, these are awesome. I’ve loved these since I was little and my mom would make them for me. It was dope then and it’s dope now. In fact, check out these Samoa Rice Krispies and let me know if they are even more dope than they were when you were a kid. I mean…c’mon…
NOTE: This recipe is for a 9×9 pan and will yield 9-12 bars (depending on how large you slice them)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional, but recommeded)
- 1 T solid shortening
- 1 cup Wilton dark cocoa chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup shredded sweet coconut – toasted
- 8 oz. Wilton caramel apple dip
If you’re not a coconut person, I get that…just remove that part. It would still be AWESOME.
- Spray a 9 x 9 pan with vegetable spray and set aside
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly
- Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt(optional) until well-coated
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly
- Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper
- Cut the Rice Krispies into 9 to 12 squares and place on the cookie sheet
- In a double boiler, melt the solid shortening
- Add the chocolate melts and stir occasionally, until melted
- Pour the melted chocolate into a microwave safe bowl that will make it easier to dip the bars.
- Dip each Rice Krispies bar half way into the melted chocolate, covering the bottom of each bar
- Place on wax-covered covered cookie sheet (bottom side up) and chill for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to “set”
- Set aside remaining melted chocolate for later.
- Toast the coconut in the oven or on the stovetop
- I just toasted mine on the stove top in a frying pan over medium heat until it browned- takes about 5 minutes
- Flip the bars over and press the toasted coconut into the top of the bars. Set aside any remaining coconut
- Microwave the caramel dip according to package instructions
- Using a spoon, generously drizzle the caramel sauce on top of each Rice Krispies bar
- Reheat the remaining chocolate by microwaving in 10 second intervals until completely melted
- Drizzle the chocolate on top of each Rice Krispies bar
- Garnish with remaining coconut
- Let “set” for 30 minutes
- Stuff our face. Be on the lookout for your kids trying to steal your booty. ;o)
What do you think? Pretty sweet (yes, that’s a pun), right? How can you not love this? Seriously…trust me, this is the stuff that dreams and after-school all-time dope snacks are made of. Be a hero, to yourself and other around your person, and drop these Samoa RKT’s on ’em. No mercy.