You Work From Home? Really? I get that question a lot.
You want to work from home. You love the idea of being your own boss. The idea of working a schedule that suits your lifestyle while paying the bills sounds appealing, doesn’t it? It’s a mixed bag, with a lot of juggling and mania involved. I’m telling you now.
I’ve been working from home since 2008. It sounds like a long time. In fact, it is a long time. There are good days and there are not so good days. There are never, however, boring days. Dealing with work, investments, the kids, the house and who knows what else fills the day from 6:45AM until 10PM pretty much every night.
Here is what you need to know about working from home:
- Enjoy a flexible schedule but remember you have to work to make money, sure you can set up a revenue stream that flows naturally overnight, but the real success to working from home is actually getting up and working
- Learn to juggle family and work, both of which will challenge you each day you wake up, because you are there in front of the family’s face and they will test your work time versus home time until you set consistent boundaries
- Some days you won’t make a dime and you will start to feel like this may not be the work for you. Work from home income can be amazingly high one week then ridiculously low another week, you will have to learn to balance finances accordingly
- In order to be successful when working from home you have to have the right personality traits or else you may set yourself up for failure: you must be a self-motivator, dedicated, passionate and have a desire to work your butt off every day of the week
Working from home can be a dream job, but it can be a nightmare, too. It’s something that so many people long to do, but with it comes both pros and cons. There is a lot of planning involved when it comes to working from home, because you need to have multiple streams of revenue as a means to pay your bills.
Here is what you need to think about before working from home:
- What skills do you have that you can use to earn a living from your home computer?
- Having a game plan in regards to business structure and what skills you will use to offer up to others is your first step in planning a work from home business
- Will you need to hire someone to build your website or will you create it on your own?
- There is nothing wrong with learning how to build a website on your own and save money in regards to web design, but it will take a lot of time to learn if you haven’t ever touched a website before
- Do you have a fast, reliable computer and internet connection?
- To be at your most efficient state possible you will need to have a fast and reliable computer as well as internet connection or else you won’t be able to get work done in a timely fashion, which will cost you money
There are many things to think about when it comes to working from home, between emotional and physical needs to tangible items that are required to do your job efficiently. No matter what position you decide upon doing from home, you won’t find success if you can’t first learn to balance family versus work time and have the proper equipment to get the job done efficiently. It’s a constant balance and struggle. You will feel that you are half-a$$ing everything, but you’re not. It’s just…different. You have to be able to drop everything you are working on to get your kid at school, or clean up the kitchen then do some emails after you put the kids to bed. You are literally doing it all at once. There’s no real solution to that. There can’t be. There won’t be. You just have to work it out as best you can and do the best you can.
Don’t worry, though. If you want to work from home, you can. Anyone can work from home and I will continue sharing ways in which you can quit that day job and return to the comfort of your home to make a living and live a positive lifestyle. At least…as best as I can. ;o)