Summer vacation has officially kicked off in NY and the kids are ornery. They are always looking for something to do. We put them in some camps here and there but the need to stimulation is insatiable! Also, since they are around the house, lazing, and enjoying the hot weather, they are always looks for snacks…treats if I’m being honest. They want something tasty, something sweet, something cold. You know what, it’s ok to indulge…they’re kids only once. It’s not too long from now where they’ll be worrying abotu their diets and needing to exercise and cut carbs (or something).
To that end, I was psyched to learn about all the recipe awesome that the new Honey Bunches of Oats is bringing to the table. They have a ton of tasty recipes, like Crab Cakes with Sriracha-Lime Mayo, Sweet and Savory Mango Spears, and Crunchy Sweet Potato Fries with Harissa Ailoi. There’s even more here!
Um, yes please…and thank you very much.
These eats just seem to ooze summertime and fun. Imagine hitting up your buddy’s BBQ or a family picnic with any of these bad boys. One of the “bunch” really did catch my eye, though. I’ve always had a soft spot for ice cream, and in particular, ice cream of the fried variety. I had to get into the recipe for their Fried Ice Cream with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce. It’s easy to do, with not too many ingredients…but the results were really stinking good!!
Ingredients – What You’ll Need
“Fried” Ice cream:
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds Cereal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions – What You’ll Be Doing
- Place cereal in a medium bowl and lightly crush with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon. Add coconut and chili powder and combine.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil. Add cereal and coconut mixture and fry until it is golden brown and toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop ice cream and quickly form balls with your hands. Place on a small tray and immediately return to the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until the balls are firm.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer and quickly roll each ball in the cereal and coconut mixture. Return to freezer for at least another 30 minutes or until the balls are firm again.
- When ready to serve, combine the chocolate chips, cream and cinnamon in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. If the chips are not completely melted, stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Serve each fried ice cream ball with a drizzle of cinnamon-chocolate.
The kids absolutely loved it. Now, I made a couple of minor changes to the recipe and preparation. I excluded the coconut (I LOVE it, but the kids do not) and added a little fresh honey. Other than that, the recipe is awesome. I would seriously suggest trying it at home…it’s fast, simple, and really an awesome treat for your little (and big) ones during this summer. Enjoy yourselves, folks, you only live once and childhood is fleeting!
For more fantastic recipes or information about Honey Bunches of Oats, check out:
- Honey Bunches of Oats Recipes
- Facebook – @HoneyBunchesofOats
- Twitter – @HBOats
- Instagram – @HBOats
You can’t beat the smiles…the bowl was cleaned in about 4 seconds…
*This is a sponsored post