It’s summer time and it’s time to eat light and drink more! One of the best cuisines for the summer time has to be Mexican. For good reason, right…it can get HOT down south! So, when I think about Mexican, my absolute #1 go-to dish is a taco. I love tacos, but good, fresh, light tacos. The tastes just go so well and the soft corn tortilla really makes it for me. It’s a must-have in my opinion.
This version of the taco is a little different. There’s no meat, but you can certainly add chicken, steak, or pork to this dish easily! This one focuses on sweet potato and bean, which work really well with the tortilla. It’s a quick meal, too, with Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total: 30 minutes.
Ready to go? I think you’ll really like these. Try to mix it up, too! Make it more spicy, add more or less cilantro, whatever! I love a little more spice and a ton of lime juice! Make some like this and make some a little different so you can see how versatile making delicious tacos really can be. Let’s start.
What You Will Need
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas (may also use flour, but I think corn is so much better)
- Toppings: Feta cheese, additional cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, fresh salsa
What You Will Need To Do
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place cubed sweet potatoes on top.
- Drizzle on 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss potatoes so they’re evenly coated.
- Sprinkle on the spices and toss again to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, tossing half way through.
- While potatoes are baking, place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat-high heat. Add diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant – about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low setting and add corn, black beans, fresh lime juice and honey.
- Once potatoes have finished roasting, toss them into the skillet with chopped cilantro.
- Serve sweet potato filling in warm tortillas with feta cheese and additional cilantro as well as any other preferred toppings.
That’s it! These are awesome and will be great for adding to your backyard BBQ. I’m telling you, tacos, some light beers, and the outside really are a match made in heaven. Add in so fresh guacamole and chips and you are really rocking and rolling! Enjoy!